Saturday 20 April 2013

Boston & Aussie8

This morning I had a hard track session planned, warm up, dynamic stretching then 4 x 300s on 47-48 seconds. The huge storm we got last night left the grassed track really dead and boggy in sections so I bailed on the session and headed out for a recovery run instead.

It was a great chance to clear my head.

Unless you have been living under a rock you would know about the Boston Marathon bombings, and as I type this one of the alleged bombers has been killed and the other is at large. This morning I ran for Boston.

There have been many pieces already written about the bombings, and my deepest sympathies are with the families of the lost and injured. The thing that has hit home to me, was that no runners were killed. The 3 deaths were of spectators watching. It is hard to shake the thought that my boys, my wife, my mum, my friends are the ones who are normally there watching me finish a marathon. Innocent bystanders. Not runners, but your support crew. When you personalise the loss at Boston its hard to imagine how the runners could be feeling - finishing the Boston Marathon is at the top of every marathoners bucket list. Finishing this year would leave very mixed feelings.

As I finished the easy 10k this morning, my thoughts were fixated on Boston 2015. I may have to buy my way in, but I will go there and remember them, I will run for those who cannot run.

I will Run for Boston.


 


Aussie8

For the past 10 days my recently married mate Luke (Eddie) Edwards has been setting a new World Record for the fastest summiting all 8 of Australia's state and territory highest peaks (mountains).

Click here for Aussie8 website 

The three guys have done an amazing job in managing the logistics of getting themselves from State to State and then backing up to summit these awesome mountains. Mt Ossa in Tasmania looked insane with heavy run and freezing temps - can't wait to hear all of the stories.

Having finished last night, I haven't had a chance to get all of the details so I will follow up with a blog after I get a chance to do an interview. It is an awesome achievement, and a record which I doubt will ever be broken.

Pex

No comments:

Post a Comment