The past week or so I have really been thinking of mistakes that I have made, you know "life's lessons". I have made a few with running, racing, at work, in business, and in relationships. Some of them I dwell on more than others, wishing I had a time machine to go back and change the way things ended - or change my approach or reaction to certain events.
Some of these moments provide a catalyst for change, some of them I just realise they we were part of growing up and finding out what really matters. Friendships in particular are a common thought as I run along. I have lost touch with friends (as I assume most people have) for different reasons, and dont spend/talk to other friends as much as I used to.
As my family grow up, I am spending more quality time with them. Possibly thats the reason that some connections are being lost with friends. The boys go from needing someone to feed them and change a nappy to someone to talk to them and interact. Thinking of the past, I remember being in primary school wishing my dad didnt work so much and that we got to do more cool stuff together. By the time I was in high school, all I wanted to do is hang out with mates/girls. I want to make sure I dont make the same mistakes, that I am there to hang out with them, talk to them, do cool stuff that they are interested in. Just MAKE the time.
January provided me with a chance to test out what my body is capable of, and what the potential volume could be for me going forward. Chris my coach and I have been working on setting up Jan as another month of build, so we moved to 80km plus per week. I ended up having a few "holiday" runs as extras so my total volume was up for the month.
- My body is holding up really well.
- I can handle 82km over 5 runs quite easily.
- I am feeling mentally fresh, the runs arent taxing as they are base building, so I throw a few quicker k's in ever now and then.
- I am sleeping pretty well, although I am looking forward to cooler weather, starting a little later in the morning. The plan is to wake at 5am instead of 4.20am - which is when I have been getting up to avoid the sun!
- I am looking forward to some speed work! Which is weird to say, but I am really ready to start some harder running in March.
- I miss racing - I only ran 4 marathons last year, not really raced them as I wasnt fit - really looking forward to racing again now that I have some volume in my legs and lungs
Check it out here http://dasherlife.com/marathon-minds-sean-p/